is the title to the popular theme song from the television series M*A*S*H*. However, most individuals have no idea of the actual words which were only used during the film version... but I have known them for as long as I can remember because the song itself is one of my favourites. I've found myself longing to hear this song in its entirety as of late due to current world politics. So I am attaching a favourite video of it towards the end.
I will not comment much on the topic because it is personal and I have family and friends whom I love and support with all my being. They serve their nation every day in various forms. I have watched flags drape more coffins than I care to share, and my family has a history of such flags hanging about homes showing respect and gratitude from a grateful nation, which I sometimes feel may not be as grateful as it could be considering the price often paid. I respect these families and lives and their hearts of loving service. My comments here are not meant to deplete such. They are strictly marked to the horrors of War itself and the driving politics which often drive such Wars... politics which rarely consider the beauty and gift these precious lives are willing to give so freely and without question, to individuals who often take for granted the costs of their own daily living. And with that disclaimer behind me, I offer the following:
War to me has always meant death. Death to the men and women sent to fight. Death to the men and women asked to defend. And Death to the civilians caught in the crossfire.
It matters not if you agree with a war, if you oppose war, or if you claim to hold no opinion whatsoever on war. War results in death.
It matters not if a war is considered righteous or senseless. War means death.
It holds no relevance if war is "justified" or "necessary" or "valid". Every death is a death mourned by a mother who grew that tiny being within her body, cherishing it and loving it to the fruition of fulfilled humanity! And whilst war may not always be unavoidable, it should never be taken lightly or joyously or happily for all lives are loved lives by someone. And death is death... That is the one certainty war offers!
Death is the unavoidable fact holding constant for every side. And every side believes itself to be in the right of things... But there can be no true winners of War.
Just something rattling my mind the past few days... I wrote this post using a post I originally published on another site in September of 2007. Time seems to change very little in world politics, eh?
Perhaps I can finally get a bit of sleep now... Goodnight.

No comments:
Post a Comment
“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”
~Jack Kerouac~