Saturday, December 7, 2013

Broken Memories in Dream Sequence

You come to me late at night in dreams. Real as a heartbeat or breath of wind across my cheek. Your whispers wake me and I rise, dressing quickly so as not to miss the solitary dance you've promised. I'm swept back to that rooftop in Madrid, your arms strong and forever. I remember our everything. You were always my dearest friend. Even then as your lips met mine. Even after when we returned to our own worlds. I continued living for you and you for me. Sharing tales of our current affairs of the heart and the ridiculousness of it all. Seeing you again that last time in December before you left this world forever... How could I have known there would be no more serendipitous meetings; no more dances under the cold, dark stars; no more whispers of your undying love and my never-ending laughter at your eternal playboy nature. 

You didn't have to leave... You didn't have to exit so permanently. And now, you come and find me unceremoniously, without warning, and leave me to ache at your eternal absence! The realness of your smell lingers about my clothes and my soul begs the question... when will you return to me? I wonder, do you see my other love where you are? Do you talk of me and my current life? My heart is somehow still intact despite the many losses I've known and the current daily heartbreaks I endure and I wonder if your sporadic visits are to bring me hopeful news of future happy imperfections where I will once again know real love and be truly seen for me... because my inner fire is slowly extinguishing itself. 

My dear one, wrap your strong, heavenly arms about my soul and save my heart from myself. Sweet ghostly angel of mine... deliver me and I shall forgive you for leaving our waltz so selfishly early. Sing me to sleep as once you did so many moons ago, holding me tightly with the delicate scent of tobacco and bourbon upon your breath and I shall sleep to wake renewed until you visit again. My sweetest ghostly angel love, bring me the peace I long to call my own. And stay near, for the loneliness of this life is unbearable without strong arms with which to fall into and find protection when the darkness moves in.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you writing again! 360 seems a long way away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Neil! I've been scribbling in journals but that's about it... I need to get back at it:) And 360 does seem far, dreadfully so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully evocative. I'm sure that it takes us all to our first or deepest love. ((hugs)) for you!

    ReplyDelete

“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.”
~Jack Kerouac~